Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy Gevaversary!

Today marks 1 year working at Geva! I made it! Weeeeeee!

I still remember my first day, 'twas a typical blustery Rochester winter's day and I wore my "artsy" black dress with the sheer blue and green print overlay with blouson sleeves, paired with black tights and patent leather t-strap pumps. I meant business. (fast-forward one year to the day and I'm sitting at my desk wearing black leggings, a red tunic, an oversized fuzzy sweater, and my shit-kicker boots... oh how our standards for ourselves fade with time...)

Milestones of this nature prompt me to pause and reflect on my experiences over the last year. Here's a brief review- since February 7th of 2011, I have:
  •  gotten my own apartment, which I've been able to decorate gorgeously (hooray!)
  •  been cast in my first film project (yay!)
  •  finally got health insurance again (yay!)
  •  had my heart broken into a million tiny pieces (alright, not so 'yay!'), which ultimately taught me a lot about myself (okay, maybe that part's a 'yay')
  •  played Dot/Marie and Sunday in the Park with George and restored my faith in myself as an artist(DOUBLE yay!)
  •  started getting pretty regular manicures, pedicures and massages ("if you can't love yo'self, how the hell you gonna love somebody else? can I git an amen?!")
  •  became an Aunt- shout-out to my baybee, Ben (who will be 7 months old tomorrow)!
  •  finally got my own pet, the freedom cat I've been threatening to get for years, sweet little Bebe!
  •  ran a 5k
  •  tried Match.com
  •  decided Match.com sucked and gave up on boys completely
  •  decided that maybe boys aren't so bad and started dating again here and there
  •  ultimately decided not to focus on having or being in a relationship anymore (which was the best decision of all)
  •  got cast in my first straight-play in over 6 years and dove back into all the things I've missed about plays that make the experience so different from working on musicals.
  •  started a blog!
  •  got a gym membership and actually paid someone to kick my ass while I was there.
  •  traveled to NYC to ring in the new year and reconnect with old friends
  •  expanded my creative gigs to include readings at Geva
  •  broke a toof, which acted as the catalyst to a long string of dental appointments. I feel confident in saying that my relationship with my dentist has been my longest, most serious and committed relationship of 2011. 
      It's been a busy year filled with MAJOR transitions, and even though there have been a few serious potholes here and there, I'd say that I came out pretty okay in the end! It's hard to believe how much has changed in the time since I got this Geva job and found out I would be returning to Rochester. But I guess that's what growing up is all about! Makes you wonder what will come between now and my TWO-year Gevaversary! (and God, please let there be a two-year Gevaversary... I know I'm sassy during meetings and that I sometimes don't check my voicemail until after lunch, but I just re-signed my lease and this whole paycheck thing has really been working out for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment