Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"The play is the thing, Amy!"

Where muh literary nerds at?? 10 points to those that recognize and appreciate the movie quote above... it's one of my favs. Another hint? "Yer potatoooooooes!"

Pressing forward...

I've recently started rehearsals for The Little Dog Laughed, opening at Blackfriars Theatre on March 3rd! Not to jinx it, but IT'S GONNA BE FREAKIN' AWESOME <knocks on wood>. No joke, dude. I play Ellen, a "NYC party-girl" who is superficial, naive and quite sassy and also happens to be in a relationship with a gay dude... story of my life. Bring on the comic aggression and crazy hand gestures! I've got 3 kickass monologues, some great one-liners and zingers, and Jack's gonna hook me up with some kickass posh costumes. This play's got everything: boy-on-girl kissing, boy-on-boy kissing, swears, snarkiness, drunkiness, sugar daddies, and naked boy-butt. (am I channeling Stefon from SNL's Weekend Update? "this club's got everything: lights, psychos, furbies, screaming babies in Mozart wigs, Teddy Graham people, human fire hydrants- you know, its that thing where high-waisted midgets have the red pants and the big ass?").

I've gotta say, it feels really good to be working on not just a show, but a PLAY. It's been over 6 years since I've done a non-musical for adults (I don't count any of the children's theatre "plays" I've done in that time... perky princesses and congested little bunny rabbits don't quite resonate the same way). Considering I went to school for acting (not for singing and definitely not for dancing), I'm beyond pumped to dig into the script and play with this character. And I've never worked with any of my fellow actors before, so that makes it doubly exciting! Something about working on a show... it instantly reinvigorates and inspires me-- I truly don't feel *myself* unless I'm working on a production! It always feels amazing!

So mark your calendars now-- The Little Dog Laughed, opening at Blackfriars Theatre March 3rd and running through March 17th!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a winner, Mary! And I do love you in a good comedy! I will have to see this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete